Thursday 11 October 2012

Emergency visit at 18 weeks pregnant!

So not necessarily an emergency but I did get admitted
into ER just in case!
Why?
Because I am taking every precaution I feel the need to do so in this pregnancy! Over bearing mother instincts kicking in? I think so...!
I have round ligament pain, and was told IF I get sharp stabbing pains to go to emerg just as a precaution. So Thursday October 4th I woke up with sharp stabbing pains in my lower right side. So by noon I decided not to walk 15mins to my class, and instead go to the hospital just to check things out.
I got there by 1pm the latest maybe, got some blood work done and a urine test. and the doctor wheeled in a little ultrasound machine to find baby's heartbeat (all good!).
Then had to wait til 4:30pm for the hospital to get a technician in to get an ultrasound to see if everything else was alright. I had a good doctor. But how on earth does a hospital, and an emergency department NOT gave a ultrasound technician on staff at all times?! What if I was a patient with my appendix bursting? Not the easiest feeling going into a hospital where your pregnant uncomfortable, starving and they say "sorry you cant eat anything until after your ultrasound", well "whens that?"...nurse answers "not for another 4 hours"...WTF?!
There were 3 other young woman there in the waiting room who were also waiting for the technician and were there longer than me. They were great to talk to. One had pain in her lower right side and was told she may have an ectopic pregnancy (oh but you know no big deal its just emergency just sit awhile and chill out since there's NO technician! I cant believe our medical system!) The other girl had pain and a swollen stomach and hasn't been able to eat or keep down solid in 5 days!
By the time the technician was ready and the other girls went ahead, it was finally my turn at 5:30pm. the technician told me everything was fine, no signs of any abnormalities inside or outside the stomach, uterus etc. And then she printed a ton of pictures!
 
So then I thought I was good to go but nope had to wait til doctor actually receives the report from the technician. So by 6:30pm I said screw this I know I'm fine now and blood work and urinalysis came back fine. And my husband was getting hungry, tired and impatient so we left.
So round ligament pain isn't fun, some evenings I am hunched over walking slowly around like a little old lady with a hunch back HAHA
So all is good and its a relief to know nothing was wrong. Dont regret spending the day there just to make sure though.

No comments:

Post a Comment